Wednesday, August 10, 2011

High Jinks at Hawera

They were lying in wait for us at Hawera Rotary Club. Past president Doug Hutchinson issued Hi -Viz jackets to all male members present, "to protect them from their partners" and myself with a hard hat and safety mask as he anticipated that I would receive a number of "hard" questions. He also provided ear muffs "in case I didn't want to hear them."

The photogenic Hi-Viz jackets
They are a small but very active and fun-loving Club with a number of ambitious projects in the planning stages, one being a public relations project which will blow your socks off if it comes to fruition. More to come on this.
Inducting Hugh Bower
I was delighted to induct a new member, School Principal Hugo Bower, and to hear that the club has a number of other prospects. They are very supportive of neighbouring clubs, Stratford, Hawera, and Waverley-Aotea, regularly attending each others meetings, and it was really pleasing to see that the Cluster Group is operating particularly well.

Three personal emergency packs ( Eastern Hutt Project) were presented to three managers of Rest homes in Hawera.
Hawera Club is also working effectively in partnerships, which is one of my visions for Rotary Clubs, with clubs such as Lions, Retired Lions, and Rural Women Institute. Val Tarrant, a former world president of Rural Women Institute stunned me when she told me that Rural have a membership of 9 million worldwide.
 
In most clubs I have found a member with surname Smith, or a member who is an engineer, or a relative or past acquaintance of Margaret. This visit I found all three - a trifecta.

Margaret meets an old school mate, Presidents wife Joan Shore


No comments:

Post a Comment